Friday, October 14, 2011

Breaking out of Silence


It's been 8 months since my last post.  I've been quiet for some time as I pondered the quality and content of my writing.  To be honest, I wasn't motivated to write.  I thought, Surely there must be something to put my Lifeforce behind.  While I waited, my immobile darling turned into a babbling, blue-eyed person, capable of walking and feeding himself, albeit messily.  I chopped 20 inches off my hair, left my roaring 20s rather quietly (for me), and took 5 days to plunge myself into the Atlantic Ocean - not necessarily in that order.  A chapter ended and a new one began.  And it was almost tangible.

Almost two months ago, I was accepted as a contributing writer to liveaction.org, a pro-life activist website specializing in exposing the truth of abortion and assisting world citizens in choosing life.  I was thrilled to be selected, until I realized I had no idea what to say.  I read and researched and discovered terrible things, realities I'd been ignoring the sake of sleep and sanity.  I wanted to contribute something to this movement toward life, but I felt inadequate.   I waited longer.  Weeks passed and my procrastination surrounded me.  

Finally, one Wednesday night at 11PM, I started writing.  Words jolted and sputtered forth, research, graphics and resources abounded.  And eventually they all landed on the page in front of me.  At 2AM, before I hit "Submit", I made my way into the bedroom to read my piece to my sleeping husband.  He groggily proved he had heard me by mumbling, "That's good, Babe, from what I remember."  That was enough for me.  [Send]  A week later I made it onto the site.  You can read my first piece here


I hope this is the first of many, constantly improving posts.  I very much want to contribute my thoughts, experiences and findings to the life movement.  I realize this issue is a "hot" one, and there is hardly a person alive without an opinion on it.  This only gives evidence to the gravity of this legal institution we've founded and supported.  Please be aware that I have no desire to disrespect or shame anyone who has had an abortion, or even considered it.  After being a mother, I know the joys of parenting, but I understand the challenges, emotional and financial, to begin.  And I know that a single, teen mom has an enormous amount of pressure when she learns she is pregnant.  But I would submit that abortion is not the "Delete" button we imagine it to be.  It does not return life to "the way things were before".  And as Feminists for Life states so eloquently, women deserve real options.  They deserve better than abortion.

I'm going to ask you to do something difficult.  I know you don't want to, but for the sake of the lives at stake, make an informed decision about abortion.  Educate yourself about abortion procedures - what really happens, about the deceptions of organizations like Planned Parenthood, and take a hard look at this thing our nation established 39 years ago.  This is not just a political issue.  It is certainly a matter of life and death.

No comments: